Teamwork Saves a Young Man’s Life in Marshall, MN

News from one of our affiliated facilities, in Marshall, MN. From the Independent:

As a member of the Marshall hospital board of directors, Mike Rich has been involved in improving the hospital’s high-tech abilities — making it faster for local doctors to share emergency information with doctors at other hospitals.

A month ago, Rich found out exactly how important the changes he’s pushed for have been: They saved his son’s life, he believes.

“The ER doc knew we had to get him out immediately,” Rich said.

Rich had been to the ER before Matthew’s accident. With Matthew, the ER situation was different because it had been just over a year since Avera Marshall switched to a on-staff ER doctor 24-hours-a-day, seven days a week.

The change from an on-call doctor to a doctor always in the ER was expensive-about $800,000 in a contract, Rich said.

But on Feb. 2 Rich knew it was worth every dollar.

“The doctor was really a super guy,” Arlene Rich said of Dr. Scott Goecke.

Quebec teen didn’t die from kissing boy who ate peanut butter snack: coroner

From Canada.com:

A fifteen-year-old girl with a severe peanut allergy did not die from kissing her boyfriend after he ate a peanut butter snack, said local coroner Michel Miron.

The story made headlines around the world and Miron said he wants people to know that a peanut butter sandwich didn’t cause the death of Christina Desforges last November.

Miron wouldn’t reveal the cause of death in an interview with the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean Le Quotidien newspaper because he hasn’t yet submitted his final report to the provincial coroner’s office. He also said he is waiting on some final test results to confirm the cause of death.

He wasn’t available on Friday to comment further on the circumstances of the teen’s death in this small city, about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City.

A reporter for Le Quotidien, the newspaper that first reported the story, said Friday it was the media that focused on peanut butter as the culprit after ambulance attendants, an emergency room doctor, and the girl’s mother suggested it could be the cause due to her allergy.

“But no one at the scientific level was able to succeed quickly at confirming the cause (of her death),” said Louis Tremblay.

“The proof has now shown that’s not what happened,” he added.